Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Rant: Books and Jobs.

Ladies and Gentlemen! Drumroooolllll Please! *brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt*

Tomorrow, I have an interview with Chapters.
This *should* be good news for a English major with way too much free time.
Let's ask Pre-Second Year Me what she thinks about this:

Us: Hey Pre-Second Year Me, what would you say if i told you you had an interview at Chapters tomorrow?
Pre-SY Me: OMG *SQUEEEE* I AM SO IN LOVE WITH LITERATURE IT IS ALMOST PAINFUL!!!!1!!1!!!

Right. So. Great!

But actually, I lied. Because it is really Post-Second Year Me who will be interviewed by the Chapters. And this is how she currently feels about literature.....

*crickets*

I feel like crickets about literature.

The realization came as soon as finals exams finished. I had a whole bookcase full of options...but the only things i wanted to read were webcomics and lolcats. Last summer break i immediately regimented a book-a-week diet, but this summer I felt exhausted just thinking about reading.

THEN, when i FINALLY caved and started re-reading the Harry Potter series as a refresher for DH, I found myself shuddering at Jo's sentence structure.

Let's be honest, now. I got a 70 in Expository Writing. I split my infinitives on a regular basis. And I'm totally chill with that. So what the eff?

So, if you're keeping track, my tuition money has:

1. dampened my passion for literature in general
2. phased my unconditional love of Harry Potter
AND
3. rewarded me with mediocre writing skills

Also:

I have decided the only way to get good marks in English is to a) be a total kiss ass, b) be lucky *mumbles* or, c) care about the material and work really hard *mumble grumbulus*

And:

Don't even get me STARTED on the PAINFULNESS of the job hunt process. Should I play the smart, confident angle? The dumb, cute girl angle? Or the relatively mediocre and non-threatening angle? Do they want a yes-man doormaticus, or an inventive individualus?

It is...all too much.

Wish me luck?

No comments: